The Nerja Caves are located in the town that bears its name: Nerja. The caves were discovered by accident in 1959 by several local youngsters when they went to hunt bats.
The caves consist of three parts:
- the tourist galleries
- the high galleries
- the new galleries (recently discovered)
They were opened to the public in 1960 and one year later the caves were named a National Historic Artistic Monument. Soon after, the High Galleries were discovered and, later, so were the New Galleries.
The route through the caves continues for a total of 4,283 meters, though only one third of it is open to tourists.